Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Camino

So yesterday I posted a photo of myself in my training gear getting ready for my Camino. So today I thought I'd give a bit of the details about how my trip has come about. 


In 1978 I first saw a documentary on PBS showing about the Camino. I was hooked!  I have wanted to make this pilgrimage ever since. Whenever I had the money I didn't have the time, and whenever I had the time I didn't have the money. When I joined the monastery I figured it just wasn't going to happen, and I was cool with that. 


A few years ago when my grandfather was dying and I was home helping to take care of home the same documentary came on the TV one afternoon. While Pop and I were watching it I mentioned to him that I had always wanted to make the pilgrimage. He said he would leave me the money to do it. Since that time I still haven't had the time, with trying to find a new home for the monastery, the big move from California and getting settled in here in Wisconsin. 


This July I turn 50. I figured I'm not getting any younger so now is probably a good time to get started. With the blessing of Abbot Nicholas I decided to walk this coming September. My Mom helped out with the plane ticket and with most of the equipment I needed for my big trek. 


So on the 31st of August I fly to Paris where I'll spend a few days with Mom, we will also visit Lourdes for a few days. I'll then put Mom on a plane back to the US and on September 8th I'll start walking God willing!


For those of you who are interested in following along with my travels I have opened a blog

AbounaontheCamino.blogspot.com  I haven't posted anything yet, but hope to start soon. 


Anyone with prayer intentions they would like me to carry for them please let me know!


2 comments:

  1. Father Moses,
    I will look forward to reading about your pilgrimage. Reading how you've hoped for so long to walk the Camino has renewed my own hope that I perhaps one day too will be able to fulfill my long held dream of making a pilgrimage on foot to Santiago. I'm actually 50 myself so if you can do it maybe it's not too late for me either.

    So my prayer request of you would be to pray that if it's God's will that I too will make the pilgrimage in good time.

    God bless you.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to reply to your post. But I don't think it worked... Anyway I was 22 in 1978 and you look so much younger than me...Must be all that good food, and holiness. God bless and thanks for sharing your experiences with us.Blessings to you and Love, Deacon Joseph Pasquella

    ReplyDelete